19 February 2008

Monosexuality

I want to spread the gospel of the beauty that is Monosexuality. I first stumbled upon this concept when I was staggering around with a self-esteem leaking like a stab wound, screwing a bunch of different men just to reassure myself that yes, I was still attractive, yes, I could still get laid. Now, I'm all about promiscuity, for the right reasons. Clean sex, sex that isn't to boost up sagging self esteem, sex that's about sharing a transcendent religious moment with your body and your partner, I'm all for it. That kind of promiscuity isn't damaging to me. What I was engaged in was like a crutch with big angry spikes, ripping me up more than helping me along. When I had been doing this for a few years,I realized that I had been just a bit crazy for that time, getting involved with ruinous men that weren't anywhere close to worthy, and I needed to swear off.
I think that sex is a normal, vital need. As a society we're so uncomfortable with sex that we can't stomach the idea that physically and mentally handicapped people, or children, have a sex drive. It's an uncomfortable thing, but I had a sex drive before I had hormones to drive it. I figured out that touching here feels amazing, and that was that! In summary, swearing off these toxic folks did not mean it was time to go celibate! Aw Hel NO! It was time for some real me time, which is how HLM and I came up with the concept of Monosexuality, which is dating yourself.
Dating myself was the best patch in the world for my crumpled ego and just the thing for that bruised pride. The rules are as follows:
!. I must act as if I am a person I am getting to know, which was technically true, I was much changed post-divorce.
2. As I date this person, I have to be positive. No nasty, overfamiliar comments on weight, education, motivation, etc.
3. It's a date, don't fuss about expense ,calories, or any other stupid crap. It's a date. You want this other person/self to be happy and not think you have creepy issues.
And lo and behold, it was one of the most freeing experiences of my life. I love to read, and eat alone while reading. I get to see the movies I really love, not a compromise. No silent angry meals or seeing crap I don't want to see. And yes, I put out ! I learned a lot about what I wanted and needed and put myself first.
And I keep myself first as I'm dating other people now, so I'm now monopolyamorous. And it rocks.

2 comments:

Ninian said...

Monosexuality (or mano sexuality... yowza!) is one of my favorite terms!! Not that I don't love you anyhow, but I love how incredibly self confident you became through your venture into monosexuality.

Preach it sister, preach it!

Chad Van Schoelandt said...

Very nice. Did you also have kinky BDSM stuff with yourself?

In anycase, that was a fun read so I hope you keep at it.