24 February 2008

Bums love me.

I saw West Side story today, and realized that live musical theater is awesome, which is funny since I had a thing against musicals previously. Not the point of the story though.
I hung out with some very awesome people, whom previously had been friends of friends I never hung out with one on one. I heard the best theory on talent..which goes something along the lines of "talented people are so busy driving themselves harder that they don't have time to be smug or condescending." Not the point of the story though.
The point of the story is my deep attractiveness to crazy bums.
I was riding the train home and while waiting on the platform, was approached by Henry. Henry came up to my chest, and was a bandy legged, mulchy colored, toadlike man. Henry had his drool on. Henry was clutching a tall and frosty can of Steel Reserve and Henry told me about twelve times how pretty I am. I generally am not so fearful of small drunk men, and I didn't freak out or skooch away, so he proceeded to tell me about his fourteen kids and his four wives, while his nameless friend looked scared and kept edging back, as if he was embarrassed by Henry's behavior. He kept asking me if I had kids and telling me he knew I wanted a little baby. I laughed and said no, He said someone was gonna get a pretty girl like me pregnant, and I grinned and said someone is gonna be paying for an abortion then. He went into how kids take care of you forever, and I admit to cruelty here. I said ", Really? Where are your children right now? " After a few more cycles of "Not even one little baby?" the train arrived and I hopped aboard.
Peace for two stops, I popped in headphones.
Bum number two asks me someting, indicated the seat behind me. I say yeah, public seat, sit where you want, since I thought he was asking if he could sit there. He laughed, since he was asking if he could date me. (By the way, does this approach EVER work for anyone? Just curious.) I popped out my headphones and asked "as unto carbon dating? Or you want to take me out for some thai and a quick grope?" He looked uncomfortable and then proceeded to have a whacked out "conversation" with me that felt like instant messaging...as if he was responding to something three lines back all the time. When I got off the train he said it was a lovely date, and he loved my coat. I grinned and waved.
I blame all of this on the fact that I am very friendly and open. I like to engage with people, even bum people. I call it the confidence of yes- since I don't say no out of fear all the time, I am confident to talk to some pretty freaky people. This will most likely end the first time I get attacked and have to shiv someone.

1 comment:

Ninian said...

AND the fact that you're FREAKIN' GORGEOUS!!

This was amazingly well written. Sink me! She's a writer! Damn you for being so talented!! (oooh, that's my envy showing, ain't it?)

Seriously, even though you told me this story in lovely colorful detail, reading it was AMAZING!!!