21 February 2008

Habits

Habits are a grand thing when they are the right habits. I am fortunate in being a bit of a habit driven creature, when I have settled into a routine, I'm on it. That is how things go. I keep thinking that if I could just do X every day I would be a better person is Y ways. Perfect example, pushups.
I was in an excellent (for me mentally, for the dog, overall) habit of an hour long brisk walk every morning . I waqs thinking if I could add just ten pushups every morning, post-walk, pre-shower, that I could have some excellent arm strength. Pushups were implemented, then I thought, I should do ten situps too. Then just a few bellydance moves, to smooth them out....next thing I know this is built up into a two or three hour workout that I get up EXTRA early for.
My point is that there are so many things I need to accomplish and get in the habit of, that even devoting just a leeetle teeny bit of time to each ends up ballooning into a huge schedule. The thing that sucks about this is I rebel...see previous entry about my intransigent spirit and the rebellion it causes. I end up refusing the whole lot in favor of going for a bike ride, taking a bath, reading a book all day. I'm not even the boss of me!
Unfortunately I have to be. I got my incorporation papers back to day, so I'm happy/sad. The vacation is over, I don't have time to sit around bemoaning my housebound state or sleeping blissfully 'til two in the afternoon. I have to get a bunch of other paperwork done, and get my bank account open, maybe even get a line of credit through the bank. And then I need to form some new and solid habits so I can get this shop open and running.
Because really, in the end, being effective at what I need to accomplish is a result of a steady and reliable habit, not a super-heroic swoop. Think tortoise. Trudge trudge trudge.

1 comment:

Ninian said...

funny, I've always thought of you more as a hare... or actually, cat... Beaver-cat.