24 February 2008

How polyamory works for me

I am insanely in love with my boyfriend. And I deeply love his wife (in a mutual let's not play with each other's downstairs bits sort of way). I also, in yet a third way (still with no bits touching but with way more financial entanglement) love my heterolifemate. Whom is tumbling for her new bogirfriend, a very smart and adorable married couple, while also playing around on the side with a new kink playmate. This is not to mention my boyfriend's wife's boyfriend(whom I have developed a pretty serious liking for despite early reservations) and his girlfriend(jury's still out yet) or my boyfriend's wife's former boyfriend that I think is kind of cool though I really love to twit him every chance I get.
Just writing this all down sort of makes my head whirl a little, but also makes me feel a little misty with happiness. The network sort of branches and meanders well past my own knowledge of it. I'm only in a traditionally romantic relationship with one person of the whole network, but the number of other people makes me feel warm and safe and loved as well.
This is my first emotionally involved polyamorous relationship, my other experiences have been a "friend with benefits" situation with another sexual partner who was not a friend. (I am capable of very emotionally uninvolved sex.)
This is also not at all my first emotionally polyamorous relationship. Every man I have dated for the past eight years has had to share me with my heterolifemate. Everyone I've ever dated has come in behind my career and ambitions. The beautiful thing about an above-board honestly negotiated poly dating relationship is that no one is allowed assumptions, everything is discussed. So I can clearly lay out that while yes, I love person A, I also still dearly love person B, though B does not share my bed, our commitment pre-dates and influences any commitment I may make. It tastes not-so-romantic. I will not throw my world over for you, I will not run off with you, and you will never be the one and only apple of my eye. It is intoxicating though, in reality, all the lives that bump and touch and overlap.
Of course, I am very lucky and have bumbled into a very healthy network. But yeah, polyamory works for me just fine.

1 comment:

Ninian said...

How can an apples in an EYE be romantic??? It just sounds bad... bad like electro-shock bad! So not my kink. ;>

I found this to be beautifully romantic. I think with polyamory, it comes down to redefining what is romantic. The very idea of a lover who has so little in his/her life that's important (i.e. the mad monk) and therefore it's very easy for him/her to toss his/her present life aside is very unappealing & a little bit frightening. I cannot be anyone's all nor do I want to... besides, they will never be mine.

*squish* I LOVE you soooooo much!!